DIRECTOR OF EMPLOYEE HEALTH & SAFETY
G&C Food Distributors is a re-distributor of refrigerated, frozen and dry food. Our sole distribution center is in Syracuse, NY. We store and deliver more than 4,000 food items to meet the needs of our customers across 27 states.
In recent years, G&C Foods has grown to be one of the most respected redistributors in the United States. We are rapidly expanding all areas or our organization.
G&C Foods is currently looking for a highly-skilled forward-thinking DIRECTOR OF EMPLOYEE HEALTH & SAFETY to conceptualize, develop and lead our safety programs. We are looking for a candidate who can work from the ground up and create a culture of health and Safety.
This position requires a dynamic personality and the ability to manage and coordinate with employees across all areas of the organization. We are looking for an innovator and someone who can build a team to drive better health and safety awareness throughout our organization.
The most successful managers at G&C Foods can coordinate and execute initiatives with little to no direction. This is because our organization embraces taking informed risks and learning from failures. We value collaboration with communication.
G&C Foods has a competitive compensation package as well as an outstanding working environment. We were voted 2nd best company to work for in Central New York in 2015 and in New York State in 2016.
MANAGES OTHERS: Indirectly
REPORTS TO: President
SALARY RANGE: $90-100k plus bonus
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To provide site safety leadership, ensure facility compliance with corporate safety standards, implement safety directives, improve safety performance, and ensure facility safety policies and procedures are aligned with governmental regulations.
Responsibilities & Duties
· Identify best practices and lead continuous improvement initiatives to reduce work process risks, raise safety awareness, and improve safe work practices.
· Investigate industrial accidents, near-miss incidents, and occupational injuries to determine causes, install preventive measures, and manage return-to-work activities.
· Provide technical advice, coaching, guidance, and mentoring to employees on safety initiatives and necessary changes.
· Coordinate employee safety programs to determine their adequacy including review of short and long term strategic safety planning and development.
· Conduct New Hire Orientation presentations to on board and educate our new hires
· Acts as the primary interface with local, state and federal regulatory commissions regarding safety and environmental practices.
· Identify and interpret regulatory standards that impact operational exposures and business activities and guide needed plans to ensure compliance.
· Assures and evaluates compliance with all federal, state and local safety, occupational health and environmental regulations including implementing the G&C safety standards and management system process.
· Develop and deliver timely and effective safety initiatives, standards, policies and educational training programs, which proactively address current safety issues and ensure compliance to all regulatory and company Health and safety policies and procedures.
· Promotes and encourages all employees in safe work habits, i.e. proper lifting, bending, reaching, stretching and flexing.
· Conduct daily, weekly and monthly safety checks.
· Manage safety incident reports and conduct incident/injury investigations.
· Establish and maintain business processes to ensure employees are working safely to prevent incidents and injuries that lead to downtime.
· Acts act as the resource to all Managers, Employees, Workers’ Compensation, and government officials.
· Responsible for recommending new strategies, approaches, and tactical long-term planning of Safety initiatives to senior management.
· Support warehouse management and associates in safety process management.
· Apprises operations senior management on safety related issues and regulations which may impact the business.
· Monitor product damage to determine unsafe acts and its root cause to prevent re-occurrences.
· Conduct safety training and implements proactive programs to mitigate employee injuries and illnesses e.g. Stretching for safety and Behavioral safety.
· Reviews and analyzes company accidents and historical claim experience to identify frequency or severity problems and loss trends. Conduct improvement projects based on findings to improve overall employee health and safety.
· Participates as active member of Workers Compensation Team and Incident Investigations.
· Advanced understanding the OSHA 300 log and injury records process and perform trend analysis on information as required.